Monday, September 12, 2011

Our Jobs

One year ago this month, Dave and I (with much prayer and guidance) decided it was time for Dave to leave Ecolab after 24 years to start a new venture with one of his customers - Sterile Surgical Systems - a laundry facility in Olympia. Dave had an excellent rapport with the owner, Greg and his wife Dorothea, and they saw him as a good fit in a new position as Director of Sales. Over the past year, they were able to get a few smaller accounts, but were waiting for the "big fish". One almost got hooked - Southwest Hospital in Vancouver, WA - but they were still legally commited to their current laundry company. They then pursued the Providence hospitals in Olympia and Centralia, along with their 21 affiliated medical clinics, and after a long process of negotiations and the legal work required, they landed the "big one" last week! Dave, Greg, and Dorothea were all instrumental in getting this "uge" contract (to borrow Donald Trump's term!) Even if they hadn't secured this big account, Dave has had no regrets about his decision to sign on with Sterile Surgical. He has been happier in his nearly one year with this company than I have seen him in 24 years with Ecolab. Last week I started my milestone 25th year at Orchard Heights. I have seen many changes in those years, but kids will be kids, and they all have charms of their own. You know you've been teaching a long time when your former kindergartners are now parents themselves! I have 23 2nd graders. Praying for a good year for them...and me!

No comments: