Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Goodbye Smooth Jazz KWJZ

It's been a great ride these past several years listening to my favorite radio station. Yesterday, KWJZ was abruptly taken off the air and when I say abruptly, that's exactly what I mean! I was listening to it in the car before noon, went to Starbucks to visit with a friend, then to the mall (popped in a CD), and on the way home switched back to the radio. What? Why are they playing Katy Perry? I don't consider her "smooth jazz"! I thought the songs they were playing were quite odd for a jazz station, but whatever.

When I got home, I noticed a Facebook posting from a friend saying that KWJZ is no longer on the air. I checked my e-mail, and sure enough, there was a message from the radio station saying there is no longer a market for smooth jazz, so after 19 years, they are gone. I couldn't believe it! No market?! Then to add insult to injury, the new station plays songs you can hear on dozens of other stations - not even a new genre! This grinds my gears! I sent a reply e-mail to KWJZ to find out what happened, but it just popped back to me.

A small consolation is that 88.5 KPLU plays jazz. Also, my husband, the genius, found a smooth jazz iPhone app, so with a docking station, jazz music will again be at my fingertips!

No comments: