Monday, August 11, 2008

Haiti 2008

Dave and I, along with 4 other couples from our church, recently visited our sister church in Les Irois, Haiti. It is in southern Haiti on the far west side. If you had told me a few years ago that I would be visiting Haiti, I would have laughed, but God had other ideas! We conducted a marriage seminar led by our pastor, John Edgecomb. Many of us wondered how it would go over in the Haitian culture, but were amazed by the honesty in their questions and comments. It showed us that even in two totally different cultures, we have the same joys and problems! All of the Haitian and American couples renewed their wedding vows, which was a special time. A heartwarming highlight of the trip for me was the Hope for Kidz presentation. I am the Hope for Kidz (HFK) coordinator at Harper Church and am responsible for finding sponsors for the children of the Les Irois church school. It warms my heart every time a new child gets a sponsor. The children in Les Irois did a presentation for us with songs and skits. It brought tears to my eyes to see the joy in their faces as they were all dressed up in their school uniforms. We were able to give each child a bag filled with school supplies, toys, and candy provided with donations from their sponsors at Harper. They were thrilled! All in all, the trip was fantastic and I'm glad God (and Dave) encouraged me to go!

No comments: