Friday, April 9, 2010

Space Shuttle Launch





We had the unique privilege of being treated to a spectacular sight in the early morning of Monday, April 5th. Having heard that a delayed space shuttle launch was going to take place about 6:20 a.m. on the 5th, Dave set the alarm early on our first day of vacation at Disney World and met Kyle and Melissa on the beach area of the Polynesian Resort where we were staying. I was getting ready back in the room and turned on the TV to see when the launch was scheduled to go off and it was set for another 2-3 minutes. Since our room balcony faced east, I went out there to see if I might be able to see something. What I did see was unbelievable! Out of the dark sky, came the shuttle in perfect view with its bright orange gas trail. It looked like it was heading right towards us to the west! I thought Dave had the camera and when I quickly went inside to look, I saw it sitting on the dresser. By the time I got it ready, the shuttle had pretty much disappeared, but I got some good pictures of the trail it left! I was thrilled to be able to witness one of the last space shuttle launches!

In the last picture, you can still see the trail in the sky behind us even about a half hour later!

No comments: